Thursday 26 November 2015

The Fabulous Forties

Out of all the decades to choose from for vintage fashion inspiration, I have to say I love the 40s the most. I think the styles are so feminine. I love how those that lived in those times of true hardship and uncertainty, still made the effort. They didn't just bung any old thing on and to hell with it, they knew that by making an effort, they would be able to face the day feeling a tiny bit better. They took care of their garments, lovingly mending even the most threadbare of clothing, knowing that they had to be thankful for all they had. It's a world away from the throwaway society that we seem to live in today. 
 With this in mind it means that vintage lovers, such as myself, are able to own clothing from that period. In a small fabulous shop in Newark, I found a delightful 40s dress that, wait for it, FITS!!!
 Oh yes my dears, I have a frock that once belonged to some equally well endowed lady, and was without a doubt a very treasured piece of clothing. It's now my turn to treasure it and take care of it, so that one day, it may find itself in the wardrobe of a future lady desperate for a dress that accommodates her boobs. 


Isn't it pretty? I love the red flowers on it, the length is just spot on, and the gathers on the skirt so flattering and swishy when I walk. I wanted full on 40s accesories, so I added my lovely red Mary Jane's a red cardi and original 40s earrings and brooch. I also wore some thick nude stockings I found in Boots, they were 30 denier and were much better than the thinner variety. 



Slap on some red lippy, and put my hair into a 40s style and I was well away. I got lots of compliments in this dress. I can't tell you how happy I am to find something like this, I'm so very lucky and I hope to enjoy it for many years to come. Oh, and it was only £9!! Woohoo! 


Miss Pond in 1946 (ish)! 
                                  Till next time dears xx

1 comment:

  1. Only you dear Miss Pond could find such a wonderful 40s dress for a mere £9. An absolute fortune when it was new. I am just watching Flog It and on there is an absolutely wonderful Bakelite radio from about that time. You would love it. Sadly, I didn't see what it sold for. I keep expecting to see you pop up by the side of Paul Martin's side, begging him to let you keep some geegaw you set your sights on. Have you been to that vintage sale I told you about ages ago. I think it's just before the end of November. Happy days browsing wonderful vintage stuff. xx

    ReplyDelete